Tuesday, May 18, 2010

CYPAC Orientation Memoir: Ben Duntoye Regional Scandal. Clean up the mess?

DAY 2.
16/05/2010

After leaving my hotel to spend the night with my friend at her place a noticed some very clear differences in the way things are done in Zambia as compared to Nigeria and some similarities
For instance, it’s not shocking to find out that the central area of town looked very polished while five5mins drive away from the central the roads are in bad condition…kudos to African government
As against building blocks being made out of sand and cement, in Zambia the building blocks is made out of cement and tiny stones…the sizes are smaller and the blocks looks finer. There are no air conditioners in most of the houses…, they use ventilators which means a tiny part of the building at the topmost level is opened for ventilation to come in….I initially thought it was the central AC that made my room so cold and that the air was so natural until I found out that it was actually the fresh air I was getting. Really cool shei!
On my way back to the university I saw children or better still teenagers in gutters smoking petrol…yes! I mean the same petrol that is used to fuel cars…you can imagine the surprised look on my face...I wished I had my camera with me
Finally I kick started my day with a visit to the National Youth Development Council of Zambia visit to The National Youth Development Centre. It was such an eye opener to what things should really be…, they are having problems but they can thank God that theirs is not a case of fighting and throwing legal punches as we have in Nigeria.
Can you believe that Ben Duntoye is still presenting himself as the National Youth council president of Nigeria at the Pan African Youth Union? My shock exactly when the officials of the Zambian National Youth Development Council said that to me. I was informed of how an office has now been built in Sudan and Ben’s frequent visit to the office…, it is said that it houses an elegant office for him. Gosh! They strongly believe that youth development work and claims in Nigeria is not regulated so anyone claims anything and the likelihood of Nigeria’s capability to win regional trust will be hard after this. My answer is that we are all not the same. Is that the solution? I can confidently say NO! I keep wondering if this is the kind of leadership that our generation subscribes to…, its ok to criticize the older generation and easily point out the faults they committed…, meanwhile we are currently repeating the same thing.
I met with Molako a onetime Zambian Representative to the Commonwealth Youth Caucus, during her time she was Chair for African Region and then the Pan Chair for the whole Commonwealth Youth Caucus. I was too inspired by her deliveries which were present after all her years of service. If I wanted to know that ladies could do a lot.., I saw it clearly today…, and she was so unassuming to say the least…an activist on youth development…she currently works as the program officer for the youth development council. God! I pray I can make an impact during my two years of service and leave lasting impact the way she did.
After lunch it was time to meet the Nigerian Ambassador in Zambia.., however due to schedule it wil wait till tomorrow BUT I had a feel of the Nigerian run away behavior again at the embassy where a Nigerian out stayed his visa period and is claiming right with lots of attitude and curses to whoever. I can’t describe how I felt when I looked at the guy as he was talking to his friend and then they went ahead to say Nigerian ladies do not have respect for men since we cannot kneel when talking to a man. God! Are these guys real!
To end my day was a brief introduction to CYPAC staff members, a short meeting with Nellie, a nice dinner and a nightcap with a nice looking gentleman (wink :=)).

Could I have planned it better? I guess not

‘Ati a sa ale, ati owuro, odi ojo kini’

‘So the morning and the evening were the second day’

Muah!

No comments: