Monday, May 17, 2010

CYP Orientation Memoir-Transition fron abuja to lusaka

15/05/2010
My trip to Zambia for my orientation as the Deputy Chair for Africa Region, Commonwealth Youth Caucus at the Commonwealth Secretariat.I prepared in a rush to the airport feeling really weird as the start of the day had a little bit of dissappointment.
I never knew the challenges of the day had just started...My flight for virgin was delayed for 3 and a half hours and the lady at the counter checked me in knowing fully wel I had a connecting flight with kenyan Airways in Lagos....

After two hours of waiting and with no other airline available..., another lady called me from the virgin office to really explain my situation to me....'I might not make the KQ flight at all'

She and the others at the office went ahead to help me out...by checking me into the KQ flight without leaving abuja...with the hope that i get there on time...That was almost impossible for Virgin delayed another 30mins after the initial delay

So i informed a nice looking gentleman who checked in at the same time with me that he might have the same problems since i noticed that he too will be on the same KQ flight withe......that was my saving grace

They tried to help him and it was his protocol officers in lagos that saved me from missing the flight...they reopened the counter for us...immigration was super fast...the gentleman was super nice!


Only for me to get to Nairobi to hear of the way immigration officers tail travellers and they said ...'its to ensure Nigerians will not run away'...gosh...i went green!

I was just noting the cold weather as I came down from the plane ...when an irritable immigration officer was asking me to present the note verbal i took to embassy in Nigeria and said my visa...which..please note... was almost showing on the other side is faint!. its not by business to tell how your visa should look like...that he should call the Nigerian office to verify.


I almost lost it...but thank God not yet...he delayed me...knowing i was tired since my eyes were swollen from lack of rest... The Commonwealth secretariat staff even had another visa ready me...but he was not willing to look at it...he made my people swear solemy that I was the property of Commonwealth Secretariat....

After all said and done...the people beyond the bother are fabulous and open minded.They love Nigerian entainment industry like craze...use Yoriyori as ringing tone and eat corn meals which am trying to get the name


After a visit to my friend...who joking told me to come see the other side of town from where i was staying, a very very expensive call rate to reach my family,the fresh air and the nice people...am willing to kick start my program without a thought of the woes i went through

'ati a sa ale, ati owuro, odi ojo kini'

Morining and evening ....makes the first day

No comments: